Getting started>Conversation design>Best Practices>Formatting

owilliams
owilliams Staff Posts: 10

I think the formatting might make following the content harder.

What about something like

below? The page here doesn't allow me to align things properly but the ide is there. I also added a screenshot of the current formatting.

Design natural, intuitive conversations

1. Understand and implement the rules of Turn-taking, Reciprocity, and the Cooperative Principle.

Note: Most conversational use cases require that your bot assumes the onus of progressing the conversation, rather than the user. This is particularly important when leveraging generative AI.

1. In general, a conversational copy should be brief, and low cognitive load.
  2. Use progressive disclosure. Provide “just enough” information for the conversational turn.
  3. Re-adapt long website FAQ copy for conversational interfaces.
  4. Be mindful of channel-specific actions, like “click” or “tap.” Replace with “choose” or “select.”

Note: For voicebots, follow the “rule of 3” when listing choices, and end your dialog turns with a direct question or call to action. Voice commands should be simple and intuitive.

1. Determine if you will use NLU, Generative AI, or both to power your conversational AI’s understanding.
  2. Plan for how you will handle small talk and other conversational situations and commands.
            Small talk:
  • Hi, hello
  • Thank you, thanks
  • Are you a human?
  • Can you repeat that? Come again?
  • Go back, main menu, start over
  • End, Close, Stop
  • Agent, I want to speak to a human
  • Hold on, wait

Situations:

• Are there any highly sensitive topics you will auto-escalate to a human immediately?
  • How will you handle repetitive abusive sentiment or pranksters?
  • Inactivity / Abandonment
  1. Be on the lookout for any potential looping that could occur in your conversation design, and remove it.
  2. Check that error messages are written in a helpful manner, enabling users to progress and get back on track.

3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• mschulz
    mschulz Administrator Posts: 13

Thanks @owilliams - I've made an update to this one. There are some formatting quirks i'm learning about. @kprobeck this might be something to keep in mind for the "style guide" article we discussed previously cc @Sue @blamm

• mschulz
    mschulz Administrator Posts: 13

@Sue do you know if there's a master CSS that we can look into, for all posts?

• Sue
    Sue Administrator Posts: 124

@mschulz we will ask the vendor.